Don’t mess up your kitchen!
Memorial Day weekend brings out all kinds of emotions. It’s a reflective time that makes you feel humble, grateful, sad, proud… the list can go on and on. It’s a time for remembering and honoring the military personnel who passed away while serving in the United States Armed Forces. In my opinion, there’s no way to thank those soldiers enough.
Memorial Day weekend is also the unofficial start of summer and grilling season. You know I love simple cooking, and what could be simpler than grilling? From steak and chicken to veggies and fruit, it’s always fresh, simple and delicious. You don’t even mess up your kitchen!
Here are some ideas for super simple food on the grill:
- Seasoned or marinated steak, chicken, pork or shrimp directly on the grill or skewered into kabobs.
- Fruit such as pineapple rings, watermelon steaks as well as apple, peach and pear halves.
- Vegetables such as asparagus, corn, carrots, parsnips, spring onions, halved artichokes and cherry tomatoes can be lightly brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper and put straight on the grill.
- Onions, peppers and mushrooms are great for skewers.
- Squash and zucchini can be cut in quarters longways to make spears. Brush lightly with olive oil before putting on the grill.
- Wrap up broccoli florets or potato cubes in foil with butter or olive oil and your choice of seasoning for a foil pack.
So, what was on your grill last weekend? We literally grilled ALL weekend. I was caught up in family time and forgot to take pictures of the teriyaki chicken skewers, pineapple spears, turkey burgers, and onion kabobs. However, here are the steaks, corn, brats and broccoli foil pack. Paper plates allowed meals and clean to be quick and simple… plus, it was all so delicious!!