Have you ever seen the Disney movie Ratatouille? It’s about a rat named Remy that proves to everyone that anyone can cook. It’s very well done and quite possibly my favorite Disney movie ever. There’s a point in the movie when Remy tries to explain the complexity of food flavors to his brother. Remy has him close his eyes to savor the flavor of pairing a strawberry with a piece of cheese. The odd combination is supposedly a mind-blowing eruption of merging flavors with fireworks exploding in your head!
This mind-blowing moment is exactly what happens when you eat this watermelon salad. The unusual contrast of flavors is just ridiculous! It’s sweet and salty. It’s creamy and crunchy. It’s a bowl of fresh contradicting deliciousness!
I saw the recipe in a real simple magazine while I was on a green olive kick. I liked all of the ingredients listed and was so curious about what this salad would taste like with all of them put together. So, I made it! I took one bite, and I could hardly stop. Even my children love it!
I admit that I quickly got to the point that I would make it while no one else was home. I would eat it for lunch, then serve the rest as an appetizer for dinner. Honestly, I still eat it like that today unless my family insists that I make it on the weekend. They caught on to my antics.
Be careful… this will be addictive!!
Watermelon, Green Olive and Pistachio Salad
- ½ cup roasted pistachios chopped
- ¼ cup pitted green olives quartered
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 small watermelon, rind removed and cut into bite-size pieces [about a 4-pound watermelon]
- 4 ounces Feta, crumbled about 1 cup
- Combine the pistachios, olives, olive oil, vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- When ready to serve, top the watermelon with the dressing and Feta. Watermelon may be chilled or at room temperature.
- bite-size pieces should be between 1"x1" or 2"x2"
- add the feta to each individual portion
- eat it all in one day since it has the most flavor on the first day